2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to drive an EV and need 6+ seatbelts for four kids under 9. Pacifica hybrid and Tesla X are only options and I don't want to spend $80K when cheerios fall out of my car when I open the door. The U-73 engine fire recall does not give me piece of mind with precious cargo. So, given your experience as an hybrid owner, is this a car you'd buy again? Are the 2019 models safer than 2017, 2018 models?

Gratitude, Really rethinking my plan in Phoenix and appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
689 Posts
As of 2000 miles, yes, would absolutely buy again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can’t beleive anyone is still considering purchasing this vehicle with all the serious recalls including the fires. I was also in the same boat really wanting to purchase an EV. Tesla is way out of my price range so I just decided on another regular gas minivan. It’s disapointing because the Pachy is an amazing package but there’s just too many issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As of 2000 miles, yes, would absolutely buy again.
This.

Ultimately you have to make your own risk based evaluation. And as much as I would recommend the hybrid and have been a happy camper so far, I would be lying if the reports of fire don't leave me a little apprehensive. But take the statistics, do the calculation, visit other competition forums, make up your own mind. Life is risky, being an adult means making hard choices and living with the consequences.

Statistically speaking, we probably have 5% of 100,0000 yearly sales of the van being hybrid. Of the 5,000 there are about 1 post a month of fire related issues. So we're at about 10 cars suffering from fire a probability 0.2%. Now take that 90% of people with issues will probably never post here. So we're now at roughly 2% conservative estimate of Pacificas catching fire. Not insignificant for a mass produced car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I really want to drive an EV and need 6+ seatbelts for four kids under 9. Pacifica hybrid and Tesla X are only options and I don't want to spend $80K when cheerios fall out of my car when I open the door. The U-73 engine fire recall does not give me piece of mind with precious cargo. So, given your experience as an hybrid owner, is this a car you'd buy again? Are the 2019 models safer than 2017, 2018 models?

I have had my 2018 PacHy for a little over a year now. I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I am retired and don't commute anywhere. But I still really really like it and yes I would buy it again. There currently is nothing else available like it.

I am also the starter of the main thread regarding the fiasco of the U73 recall and subsequent RRT 18-087 bulletin which turned into the U94 recall so I can tell you a bit about what happened. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/39764-u73-cruise-control-update-hybrids-might-cause-catalytic-converter-problems.html The short story is that the U73 recall was supposed to fix a very rare problem with the cruise control that applied to almost all FCA vehicles, not just the PacHy. Unfortunately Chrysler took the opportunity to slip in some other changes besides just the fix to the cruise control problem. One of those changes was to the PCM (Power Control Module). It turned out that the PCM software change included a bug that occurred infrequently when the van switched from all electric mode to hybrid mode. Sometimes during that switchover it would lose synchronization with the position of the crankshaft and this resulted in unburned fuel getting to the catalytic converter, which in turn caused the catalytic converters to overheat. Typically this caused the check engine light to come on and the van would shut down and lose power. I know of several reports of that here and on the Facebook PacHy group.

Now I call this a fiasco because Chrysler's first response was to publish a technical bulletin (RRT 18-087) which told dealers to inspect the catalytic converters for damage, replace them in necessary, and reprogram the PCM with updated software. This was all well and good except that lots of people didn't know about the bulletin, and this included many dealers. Meantime there were more reports of stalled vans, damaged catalytic converters, and in a very few cases some flames that fortunately did not spread beyond the engine compartment.

Finally, after several reports to the NHTSA and Transport Canada Chrysler converted their bulletin to a full safety recall (U94) and started mailing notices to people to bring their vans in to have their catalytic converters inspected and the PCM software updated. I think by now, in February 2019 they have probably got almost everybody patched up with the updated software. Vans built after August 2018 got the updated software at the factory and this includes all 2019s. So to answer one of your questions, yes the 2019s will be safer, plus they include a couple of extra features that were omitted from older vans such as power folding mirrors and memory seats.

As for absolute safety I don't have the data to prove it but I will say I am not worried. Let's say for the sake of argument that there are 20,000 PacHy's on the road. Based on my searches of the NHTSA database and reports on this forum I would say that there were maybe 20 near fires due to overheated catalytic converters. That puts the risk of catalytic converter overheating at 1 in a 1,000. Of those, I know of a couple of cases that resulted in flames but these were repairable.

There is also one very recent case where somebody's van was engulfed in flames despite having had the U94 recall work done. We may never know what caused that fire unless Chrysler or Transport Canada does a full inspection and makes the results public. It could be that there is still a problem with the PCM, but if so it is really rare because all of the other reports of overheated catalytic converters we had last summer have gone away. It could be that the dealer that did the U94 recall work skipped a step, but they will never admit to that. It could be something else entirely unrelated to the PCM software. Cars catch fire for all sorts of reasons, not just Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the hybrid Limited with just over 12,000 miles, and I love it. In fact, I have a friend with a late model Mercedes sedan, and my van is much nicer than the Mercedes! It's an absolute joy to drive, and has every possible creature comfort and technology bell and whistle you could want. Sure, I'd love to have a Tesla Model X instead, but for the price, you can't beat the Pacifica Hybrid Limited.

I waited a long time to do the cruise control recall after hearing the horror stories of fires, but now that it is done, I haven't noticed any problems or the loud fan noise during charging that some have reported. I just got back from a 5000-mile road trip to the California and Washington, and the van performed flawlessly. I was very disappointed when something hit my windshield while I was driving through Seattle and resulted in a very large crack, though. That's not a problem with the van, it's a problem with rocks flying off semi trucks.

In the last week I had a warranty replacement of the driver's side LED halo light strip. It would not stay on reliably, so they replaced it. I hope that doesn't happen again after it it out of warranty, since the part was over $600.

I don't miss the Stow & Go Seats of the gas version, and I don't care about power folding mirrors on the 2019 hybrid, either. The 2018 hybrid is perfect for me. I'd definitely buy the 2019 if I didn't already have the 2018 model.

·
Registered
233 Posts
2017 owner with 22,000 miles on mine. Yes, if something happened to mine then I'd replace it with another Pacifica Hybrid.

My husband has a Model S and we really like it, so I looked at the Model X but was disappointed in the lack of cargo space. I mainly test drove larger SUVs and minivans before settling on the Pacifica. So far it's been back to the dealer 4 times - 2 recall fixes and 2 minor warranty fixes (each took less than a day), and I've taken it on 8 road-trips. Between this Facebook group and the Pacific forum, I'm aware that a small fraction of owners have had very serious problems with their vehicles, but I don't worry when I'm driving mine... not even when I'm solo in the middle of a multi-state road trip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes!

I have had my 2018 PacHy for a little over a year now. I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I am retired and don't commute anywhere. But I still really really like it and yes I would buy it again. There currently is nothing else available like it.

I am also the starter of the main thread regarding the fiasco of the U73 recall and subsequent RRT 18-087 bulletin which turned into the U94 recall so I can tell you a bit about what happened. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/39764-u73-cruise-control-update-hybrids-might-cause-catalytic-converter-problems.html The short story is that the U73 recall was supposed to fix a very rare problem with the cruise control that applied to almost all FCA vehicles, not just the PacHy. Unfortunately Chrysler took the opportunity to slip in some other changes besides just the fix to the cruise control problem. One of those changes was to the PCM (Power Control Module). It turned out that the PCM software change included a bug that occurred infrequently when the van switched from all electric mode to hybrid mode. Sometimes during that switchover it would lose synchronization with the position of the crankshaft and this resulted in unburned fuel getting to the catalytic converter, which in turn caused the catalytic converters to overheat. Typically this caused the check engine light to come on and the van would shut down and lose power. I know of several reports of that here and on the Facebook PacHy group.

Now I call this a fiasco because Chrysler's first response was to publish a technical bulletin (RRT 18-087) which told dealers to inspect the catalytic converters for damage, replace them in necessary, and reprogram the PCM with updated software. This was all well and good except that lots of people didn't know about the bulletin, and this included many dealers. Meantime there were more reports of stalled vans, damaged catalytic converters, and in a very few cases some flames that fortunately did not spread beyond the engine compartment.

Finally, after several reports to the NHTSA and Transport Canada Chrysler converted their bulletin to a full safety recall (U94) and started mailing notices to people to bring their vans in to have their catalytic converters inspected and the PCM software updated. I think by now, in February 2019 they have probably got almost everybody patched up with the updated software. Vans built after August 2018 got the updated software at the factory and this includes all 2019s. So to answer one of your questions, yes the 2019s will be safer, plus they include a couple of extra features that were omitted from older vans such as power folding mirrors and memory seats.

As for absolute safety I don't have the data to prove it but I will say I am not worried. Let's say for the sake of argument that there are 20,000 PacHy's on the road. Based on my searches of the NHTSA database and reports on this forum I would say that there were maybe 20 near fires due to overheated catalytic converters. That puts the risk of catalytic converter overheating at 1 in a 1,000. Of those, I know of a couple of cases that resulted in flames but these were repairable.

There is also one very recent case where somebody's van was engulfed in flames despite having had the U94 recall work done. We may never know what caused that fire unless Chrysler or Transport Canada does a full inspection and makes the results public. It could be that there is still a problem with the PCM, but if so it is really rare because all of the other reports of overheated catalytic converters we had last summer have gone away. It could be that the dealer that did the U94 recall work skipped a step, but they will never admit to that. It could be something else entirely unrelated to the PCM software. Cars catch fire for all sorts of reasons, not just Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids.

YES I WOULD and yes I did. I had the 2018 which was built 12/2017 and had no problems at 5K miles and 4 months, also having had the 2 recall patches done, one before I bought it, and the U94 after I bought it.

The 2019 is a dream in the limited version with every option. I traded in to get the higher level after realizing I was hardly losing anything on the trade-in after $7500 rebate on federal taxes. Every new one you buy (each year?) you get an additional rebate on federal taxes.

As the above quoted poster said, likely only 1:1000 had any significant problem and only one outright fire recently that destroyed a van completely (the full story may be known in the future) for unknown reasons. I feel very safe with this van and highly recommend it. All the extras in the limited also contribute to this including tripane sunroof, reverse folding mirrors, memory seats, heated and cooled seating, NAV, safety tech suite (MY PERSONAL FAV!), quiet ride, comfort, amazing mileage for a van, built-in roof rails/rack, easy to navigate info screen in dash, $7,500 rebate, etc...
Some who don't have a hybrid plug-in have commented that they wouldn't want all the hassle of taking out and putting back chargers, and having to find chargers on the road, and all this to save just a few dollars. HOWEVER, if you are a PacHy owner, you know there is no need to charge on the road, you don't have a hassle on the plug-in cords (as you just leave it out and simply plug-in/unplug when getting in/out at home garage, and you save a LOT more than a few dollars with the first 30 miles at electric cost (I calculated 1/2 price of gas in my locale), and 50% better mileage in ICE mode compared to Odessey or Sienna or regular Pacifica types.

Do you need a limited for extra cost, no. Can you get by just fine with the Touring L 2018 closeouts available for around 38-40K at many dealers? Yes. After federal rebate, cost is just over 30K. Why not own it if you don't need stow n go?
Submitted for consideration:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
This.

Ultimately you have to make your own risk based evaluation. And as much as I would recommend the hybrid and have been a happy camper so far, I would be lying if the reports of fire don't leave me a little apprehensive. But take the statistics, do the calculation, visit other competition forums, make up your own mind. Life is risky, being an adult means making hard choices and living with the consequences.

Statistically speaking, we probably have 5% of 100,0000 yearly sales of the van being hybrid. Of the 5,000 there are about 1 post a month of fire related issues. So we're at about 10 cars suffering from fire a probability 0.2%. Now take that 90% of people with issues will probably never post here. So we're now at roughly 2% conservative estimate of Pacificas catching fire. Not insignificant for a mass produced car.
Show me evidence of 1 post a month of a vehicle catching fire. Seriously.

I've been on this forum since well before the vehicle launched and there is nowhere near that number of fires.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Yes, I have a 2017 with 24k miles on it. If something happened to it I would replace it with a 2019.

Do your own research before you believe melodramatic people spouting numbers like "1 fire a month on the board". There are nowhere near that number of fires. If 2,000 of these had caught fire, it would be all over the news.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, I have a 2017 with 24k miles on it. If something happened to it I would replace it with a 2019.

Do your own research before you believe melodramatic people spouting numbers like "1 fire a month on the board". There are nowhere near that number of fires. If 2,000 of these had caught fire, it would be all over the news.
I looked 4 months back, there're about 4 or so original threads about fire.... sure I could go further back, but shoot it's a bb board, not paid research.

Once a month would not equate to 2,000 vehicles, unless the van has been out for almost 200 years... may be the caravan, but certainly not the Pacifica.

And FYI I LOVE LOVE LOVE this van, it's been amazing, drives beautifully and exceeded all my expectations! But then again I haven't had it catching fire yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Fully jammed 18 pachy and 12000kms and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another one. The flexibility,comfort,mileage and features are to me second to none. Have made a few long distance road trips and have zero regrets or issues. I also bought the 160000km gold 7 yr warranty due to this is my everyday driver. You can not it for the cost vs what your getting in the pachy package. I’ve talked to many a bolt, volt, Prius , Tesla owner and they all have issues . Majority of there cars would carry a set of golf clubs and that’s about it , even 4 on a long distance trip would be extremely tight .

·
Registered
502 Posts
I looked 4 months back, there're about 4 or so original threads about fire.... sure I could go further back, but shoot it's a bb board, not paid research.

Once a month would not equate to 2,000 vehicles, unless the van has been out for almost 200 years... may be the caravan, but certainly not the Pacifica.

And FYI I LOVE LOVE LOVE this van, it's been amazing, drives beautifully and exceeded all my expectations! But then again I haven't had it catching fire yet.
Fair enough on not researching. 4 months is an astonishingly small sample size to try and derive a probability. We have the 4 known fires you located. We don't know the cause of the fires if my memory serves. They could be the hybrid system, they could be nesting rodents.

Chrysler publishes sales numbers for the PacHy, so we don't have to estimate what those were. https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Through Jan 19 Chrysler has sold 12,095 PacHy's. You said 2% of them likely have burned. That would be 241.9. These vans began shipping in earnest in May of 2017, that's 20 months of sales. That would be 12 Pacifica Hybrid fires every month. If 241 Pacifica Hybrids had burned, it would be all over the news. There's nothing the media likes more than creating fear.

I'm really not trying to pick on you, because I think you meant well. With this board being one of the first resources people find on the web for this vehicle, I believe we have a duty to not be (accidentally) alarmist about things we haven't or can't prove. If 241 of these have burned due to faults in the hybrid system, I'll join in on ringing the alarm for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fair enough on not researching. 4 months is an astonishingly small sample size to try and derive a probability. We have the 4 known fires you located. We don't know the cause of the fires if my memory serves. They could be the hybrid system, they could be nesting rodents.

Chrysler publishes sales numbers for the PacHy, so we don't have to estimate what those were. https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Through Jan 19 Chrysler has sold 12,095 PacHy's. You said 2% of them likely have burned. That would be 241.9. These vans began shipping in earnest in May of 2017, that's 20 months of sales. That would be 12 Pacifica Hybrid fires every month. If 241 Pacifica Hybrids had burned, it would be all over the news. There's nothing the media likes more than creating fear.

I'm really not trying to pick on you, because I think you meant well. With this board being one of the first resources people find on the web for this vehicle, I believe we have a duty to not be (accidentally) alarmist about things we haven't or can't prove. If 241 of these have burned due to faults in the hybrid system, I'll join in on ringing the alarm for sure.
Yeah I doubt there's 241 fires. It's just a really worst case estimate. It's possible though there're vans with symptoms approaching this number, that does not culminate into news worthy fireball.

But 12000 PacHy... that's rather sad imo. The hybrid is much superior to the gas (drove both), it really handles like a RWD sedan when driven near speed limits (yes you won't be winning NASCAR or drift races, but for reasonable safety conscious people, driving around babies and 4 other precious family and friends this shouldn't matter). And granted everyone's needs are different, but given that a good chunk of Americans > 70% should live within 30 miles of work and the price after tax savings is about the same, TCO should be significantly less than regular Pac to these people, so the hybrid % of sales should be much higher than that - perhaps closer to 60% - 80% of sales. Even assuming that only half of these people are home owners (home ownership rate in U.S.), hence have a garage to charge overnight, we should still be looking at 30-40% share. I honestly can't explain the discrepancies, other than most traditional Chrysler buyers are Luddites or that the van has some real quality issue that's scaring people away.

On a more positive note, my dash is showing 60.7 MPGe! 60+MPG! For a vehicle with larger interior room than the X, sits 7 very comfortably, can double as a cargo van in a pinch and more than likely win any race over 300 miles vs. the X all for 1/3rd the price. To me it's a magical rainbow unicorn, they just need to work on the flying part.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just out of curiosity for the satisfied owners, would your opinion change if your pachy caught fire with your family inside or would you still not hesitate to buy another one?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 11k in 12 months on my 2018 and have been very happy with it. The middle seats are safer and more comfortable than the non-hybrid, you have a 7k watt toasty heater when waiting with the engine off, you have full a/c with the engine off, it rides smoother, quieter, has better throttle response, longer life for oil, brakes, etc., same price as non-hybrid after tax credit.... yeah, I'd get another one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just out of curiosity for the satisfied owners, would your opinion change if your pachy caught fire with your family inside or would you still not hesitate to buy another one?
I would definitely hesitate. My wife will also chew me out, after all the van was mostly my idea. However it hasn't happened, I trust FCA is doing all they can to make sure the problem is fixed and stay fixed. If that trust is misplaced, then they earned whatever is coming next.

However so far, the Pacifica has worked really well, transmission, driving feel are unbelievably smooth, even the transition to gas. All other PHEV have really rough gas engines, mostly as they're too underpowered to carry the additional load of battery so they tend to work at higher RPMs, but not this one. Plus I think there's ANC somewhere so the engine is barely audible even when it kicks in. So I'm pretty sure the team behind the van has worked hard to make this well designed machine and as far as I'm concerned, they delivered and earned my respect and confidence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well not to put too fine a point on it, but it does seem that in addition to the 700 pounds of lithium batteries in our family cars, some still are putting 16 gallons of highly flammable liquid in a tank under their van too. According to a one minute google search, fema notes that from 2014-2016 there were an average estimated 171,500 (!) highway vehicles occur in the USA. I’m not sure if the pachy has a higher than average rate (would assume so) but think it is good to see the bigger picture that ANY other car you might buy can also catch fire. More limited number of bicycles catch fire each year, but they have other limitations unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post to the group after benefiting from all the great dialog here for the past 60 days. Bought a 2019 Pachy Limited S on 31-Dec and would buy again and strongly recommend it for nearly all situations - having driven approx 1200 miles and gone to the gas station twice.

I had read the postings on the fire incidents. Certainly these are very serious. Yet - I made the buy decision assuming that these were outliers and trusting that whatever odd combination of events may have led to such a situation would have been remedied in this 2019 model year.

Since 2000, a Chrysler minivan has always been part of my household - I have had 4 of them (2000, 2008, 2015, 2019) and by far - and I mean by a large margin, the 2019 Pachy is the best. It has no relationship to the performance characteristics of those earlier vehicles.

At this point, I have only the youngest of my children still at home and he needs to be driven to school about 13 miles away. The electric range is perfect for this and with a class 2 charge between drop off and pick up, it’s possible to be all electric for a great majority of our driving. That alone is wonderful - now add that this is a comfortable, modern, roomy vehicle with so much utility and honestly, what more can you ask?

The technology in the vehicle is impressive, the ride is quiet and smooth - something which my prior minivans could not claim and having the ICE takes the worry out of managing a charging process on longer overnight trips.

My electric range has been more or less as advertised. Honestly - once I believe I nearly drove 40 all electric miles, and sometimes as low as 21. Having had a super-cold period of weather here in NJ about two weeks ago, I found that remote starting the car and allowing it to warm up via the ICE really minimized the impact the lower ambient temperature had on the electric range.

I have driven the Tesla X and it is a great car. I considered it (and still am) but not to have replaced my 2015 minivan. I think the X addresses a different need and is certainly a whole different price point once you add the features you would probably want.

We have a few other cars in the household - all of them German luxo or performance sedans or SUVs and astonishingly, everyone seems to prefer driving the Pachy for the majority of our needs.

Highly recommend this vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts