2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did transmission oil change(drain and fill) at 42000 miles. It is easy and should not be demonized.

It went easy and car drives fine. I did it as a preventive maintenance.
- drop engine belly cover to get an access to drain bolt.
- check level prior to draining. I have used specialized dipstick(18$ on amazon) however you can make one yourself (link below). Temperatures charts are available online.
- Drain the fluid
I did drain and fill because i did not have time to play with transmission cooler lines to do proper flush. And i did not think it was necessary as fluid was relatively clean and 60% of volume exchange will be enough for first time.
I have drained 3.5 liters of old fluid( 6 liter(6.4qt) is total capacity)
- Fill the transmission through level check port
I have ensured that drained fluid has the same temp as new one for volume calculation purpose. However thermal expansion is overrated unless you are talking about 50 + degrees difference and much larger volume.
Filled through upper port 3.6 liters. Checked the level and according to temp chart and it was correct. It is not rocket science or chemistry lab and there is range for proper level so you don't have to be exact to the 0.1cc.

Drained fluid was dark but still transparent. No sludge.
Fluid used is OEM Mopar ZF 8&9 speed transmission fluid. Paid 140$ for 6 quarts on eBay.
Next time I will do proper flush by disconnecting cooler lines and will take more time to take better pictures and maybe record it.

Link to:
-How to check Zf9 speed fluid level. On Pacifica you don't have to remove tie rod because there is much more space comparing to Chrysler 200.

- how to measure oil level in transmission without dipstick . I know it is not ZF 9 speed but concept and actual temp chart is exactly the same.

There you go. Thank You.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I did transmission oil change(drain and fill) at 42000 miles. It is easy and should not be demonized.

It went easy and car drives fine. I did it as a preventive maintenance.
- drop engine belly cover to get an access to drain bolt.
- check level prior to draining. I have used specialized dipstick(18$ on amazon) however you can make one yourself (link below). Temperatures charts are available online.
- Drain the fluid
I did drain and fill because i did not have time to play with transmission cooler lines to do proper flush. And i did not think it was necessary as fluid was relatively clean and 60% of volume exchange will be enough for first time.
I have drained 3.5 liters of old fluid( 6 liter(6.4qt) is total capacity)
- Fill the transmission through level check port
I have ensured that drained fluid has the same temp as new one for volume calculation purpose. However thermal expansion is overrated unless you are talking about 50 + degrees difference and much larger volume.
Filled through upper port 3.6 liters. Checked the level and according to temp chart and it was correct. It is not rocket science or chemistry lab and there is range for proper level so you don't have to be exact to the 0.1cc.

Drained fluid was dark but still transparent. No sludge.
Fluid used is OEM Mopar ZF 8&9 speed transmission fluid. Paid 140$ for 6 quarts on eBay.
Next time I will do proper flush by disconnecting cooler lines and will take more time to take better pictures and maybe record it.

Link to:
-How to check Zf9 speed fluid level. On Pacifica you don't have to remove tie rod because there is much more space comparing to Chrysler 200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_KZ_E_QzpU

- how to measure oil level in transmission without dipstick . I know it is not ZF 9 speed but concept and actual temp chart is exactly the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrOjLOvyFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnTxuV-DwE

There you go. Thank You.
Thanks for the info @Andrew. The fluid is not pink like most transmission fluid I have seen. Or maybe the new fluid is.
This should be stickied ....??? @irpilot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts