2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

Banned
Its not just pacificas.. anything using the 3.6 liter gas engine is suspect. The biggest issue is poor hardening of the rocker arms. You can hear a "tick, tick..tick" that sounds like a bad lifter or exhaust leak. Mine died in my 2015 TC at 60K miles. Took out the entire engine which was replaced under warranty. The service writer didn't even bat an eye when I pulled in. Knew exactly what it was without opening the hood. Took a month to get a new long block. The trans died 20K after that. I had extended warranty and I think after 2 months they are finally giving in this week to OK the work to fix it.

I think people just have to remember that this is not a widespread problem that this is a very isolated issue and when people come to these forums they typically have problems they're trying to work out so you'l see all the brokens here ... It's like walking through the service shop at Ford with nothing but broken Fords that's all youl see, not representative of all Fords... Starting in the 17 Pacificas is the 3rd generation pentastar 3.6 were all of the top end bugs have been worked out and don't have the lifter ticking and rocker arm troubles for the most part anymore compared to the 1st and 2nd gen 3.6. People's engines that are going out at 70,000 miles could have been from many issues, low coolant levels, late oil changes, using the wrong oil or Weight oil, driven to hard, towed something to heavy etc.. Many variables all contributes.... These 3rd gen 3.6 motors are one of the best proven millions of miles and for the unlucky few where it blows a motor it's unfortunate but it happens.. Theoretically it has to happen to someone sometime.....

Registered
I have the very same issue with my 2017 Pacifica Limited. Clearly, there is a very serious issue with this engine. How do I proceed with getting assistance on this?
The first course of action would be to report it.

Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

The second would be to get a case manager and a star case started with Chrysler by calling the corporate office.

Registered
This seems to be EXACTLY the same situation I'm having.

Mine was at 77k miles.

I've been without my Pacifica now since 8/19. This last round they've had it since 9/27. Over a MONTH now. There has been ZERO Movement.

I went in on 10/20 to discuss a loaner vehicle and they had me authorize an Engine teardown... It has now been 12 days, and they havent even STARTED it.

@ChryslerCares Has been involved, but my dealership doesn't seem to care...

I feel for your situation COMPLETELY... This is my THIRD Chrysler/Dodge vehicle... and my Experiences have been middling at best...
I am in a similar sounding sinking ship! Any update on your vehicle? Im right before authorizing the engine tear down and trying to figure out what to do.

Registered
I am in a similar sounding sinking ship! Any update on your vehicle? Im right before authorizing the engine tear down and trying to figure out what to do.
My 2017 Pacifica van died in my driveway. Wouldn't even start to move it for the tow truck. My regular mechanic told me to have Chrysler do the diagnosis, which was total engine failure. They wanted 10k to replace the motor and @ChryslerCares offered zero assistance. I spent $189 for the dealership to diagnose the vehicle, then promptly towed it to my regular mechanic who purchased a 2017 engine with 50k on it. I spent 5k for the motor and 780 dollars for a 1-year full warranty on parts and labor. The total cost for the engine was $5780 plus tax. Towed it from the dealership last Saturday, drove the car home on Wednesday. My car sat at the dealership for almost 3 weeks before they told me it was engine failure.

My advice, do a Yelp search and find yourself a good local mechanic to replace the motor and be done with it. I'm sorry you are dealing with this too. Chrysler needs to do something about this!

Banned
My 2017 Pacifica van died in my driveway. Wouldn't even start to move it for the tow truck. My regular mechanic told me to have Chrysler do the diagnosis, which was total engine failure. They wanted 10k to replace the motor and @ChryslerCares offered zero assistance. I spent $189 for the dealership to diagnose the vehicle, then promptly towed it to my regular mechanic who purchased a 2017 engine with 50k on it. I spent 5k for the motor and 780 dollars for a 1-year full warranty on parts and labor. The total cost for the engine was $5780 plus tax. Towed it from the dealership last Saturday, drove the car home on Wednesday. My car sat at the dealership for almost 3 weeks before they told me it was engine failure.

My advice, do a Yelp search and find yourself a good local mechanic to replace the motor and be done with it. I'm sorry you are dealing with this too. Chrysler needs to do something about this!
Inexcusable that would happen, but at least its settled and you saved some money.

Registered
Same exact issue I am having on my 2017 Pacifica with 100,740 miles on it. I took my car in for regular service oil change and recommended tune up. Ever since this was done my car was misfiring P0305 code. I brought it back 4x. The dealer called today to say I have coolant leaking in the cylinder. It can be anywhere from a head gasket to a new engine. They won鈥檛 know until they take the engine apart. My question is should I even proceed with the engine tear down and possible new engine or cut my losses.

Banned
Its not just pacificas.. anything using the 3.6 liter gas engine is suspect. The biggest issue is poor hardening of the rocker arms. You can hear a "tick, tick..tick" that sounds like a bad lifter or exhaust leak. Mine died in my 2015 TC at 60K miles. Took out the entire engine which was replaced under warranty. The service writer didn't even bat an eye when I pulled in. Knew exactly what it was without opening the hood. Took a month to get a new long block. The trans died 20K after that. I had extended warranty and I think after 2 months they are finally giving in this week to OK the work to fix it.

1st and 2nd generation 3.6 motors had the top end valve train tap issues but starting in '17 those were resolved in the new 3rd generation 3.6 redesign in all of the new pacificas so the new Pacificas won't have these same issues in general anymore.. The 3.6 is a beautiful motor almost bullet proof with millions of tested miles. In my opinion it's extremely rare to have one of these pacifica's engines torn down at 70,000 miles but I guess nothing is perfect however it's more than likely extremely rare and unfortunate.. A big part plays into it with wear and tear, how often you get your oil changed and how you treat it also...

Banned
Same exact issue I am having on my 2017 Pacifica with 100,740 miles on it. I took my car in for regular service oil change and recommended tune up. Ever since this was done my car was misfiring P0305 code. I brought it back 4x. The dealer called today to say I have coolant leaking in the cylinder. It can be anywhere from a head gasket to a new engine. They won鈥檛 know until they take the engine apart. My question is should I even proceed with the engine tear down and possible new engine or cut my losses.
I would cut your losses and ditch it now. Its a vehicle with a poor reputation for reliability anyways, I wouldn't put money into it I would trade it now.

BriPac said:
In my opinion it's extremely rare to have one of these pacifica's engines torn down at 70,000 miles
There are like 5 people here on the forum right now that are in this situation, I would say this isn't as rare as you might think nor is this issue as "solved" as you might think.

Banned
I would cut your losses and ditch it now. Its a vehicle with a poor reputation for reliability anyways, I wouldn't put money into it I would trade it now.

There are like 5 people here on the forum right now that are in this situation, I would say this isn't as rare as you might think nor is this issue as "solved" as you might think.
I can understand that to an extent but you have to remember people sign up on these forums when they have problems 98% percent of the time so basically aside from people talking about accessories and conversation they come here because something is broken.. Just like me if my Pacifica was 100% perfect I wouldn't have signed up here.. It's like if you walk through a Ford Service Department at a dealership you'll see 25 Fords jacked up and broken, doesn't mean its representative of all Fords but I see your point.... Just like anything if you have millions and millions of Chrysler's on the road some of them are going to break that's just life with anything.

Banned
I can understand that to an extent but you have to remember people sign up on these forums when they have problems 98% percent of the time so basically aside from people talking about accessories and conversation they come here because something is broken.. Just like me if my Pacifica was 100% perfect I wouldn't have signed up here.. It's like if you walk through a Ford Service Department at a dealership you'll see 25 Fords jacked up and broken, doesn't mean its representative of all Fords but I see your point.... Just like anything if you have millions and millions of Chrysler's on the road some of them are going to break that's just life with anything.
We've been through this...I post on all kinds of car forums and this sort if issue with multiple cases on a car this young is almost unheard of. if it were just one poster that would be one thing, but with multiple people having these issues here around this mileage, and the oldest of these vehicles just getting up to these 70k+ mileage ranges I would say thats enough to be concerned about a more widespread problem...especially when earlier iterations of this engine had issues like that which were supposedly "fixed". This is not just "something is broken"

Having any engine failure in a modern car earlier than 250k miles is just inexcusable, certainly is at 70k miles...the only major mechanical failure I have ever had on any car that age was the transmission going out on my 1995 Ford Explorer. That was a vehicle built and designed 26 years ago when cars were much less reliable and long lasting than today...and even then that was a bad problem that was widely common on those trucks. That truck was sold many years after that with 220k on it and the engine had never been opened up for any kind of repair.

And the vast majority of members here and on other forums have no issues. Plenty of enthusiasts join forums to discuss their cars, when deciding between specific cars, modifications and improvements etc. For instance I have joined a forum for every car I've ever owned and never to discuss problems.

Banned
We've been through this...I post on all kinds of car forums and this sort if issue with multiple cases on a car this young is almost unheard of. if it were just one poster that would be one thing, but with multiple people having these issues here around this mileage, and the oldest of these vehicles just getting up to these 70k+ mileage ranges I would say thats enough to be concerned about a more widespread problem...especially when earlier iterations of this engine had issues like that which were supposedly "fixed". This is not just "something is broken"

Having any engine failure in a modern car earlier than 250k miles is just inexcusable, certainly is at 70k miles...the only major mechanical failure I have ever had on any car that age was the transmission going out on my 1995 Ford Explorer. That was a vehicle built and designed 26 years ago when cars were much less reliable and long lasting than today...and even then that was a bad problem that was widely common on those trucks. That truck was sold many years after that with 220k on it and the engine had never been opened up for any kind of repair.

And the vast majority of members here and on other forums have no issues. Plenty of enthusiasts join forums to discuss their cars, when deciding between specific cars, modifications and improvements etc. For instance I have joined a forum for every car I've ever owned and never to discuss problems.
Like I said Forums are magnets for people with problems for the most part.. I just went to Fords Forum and typed in Explorer Transmission failure and there were 5 people in a row talking about their transmissions that went out on their new Explorers.. When you Zero in on a Topic you get all the garbage. This isn't a debate to keep going back and forth. You said what you had to say as I just did. There are problems with any vehicle and on Forums that's all youl see. Now go type in Chevrolet power steering pump failure and youl see 5 in a row where their pump went out on their new Chevys, it's all relative.
Font Parallel Technology Screenshot Number

Your opinions are noted. All done here...

Banned
A power steering pump failure is nowhere near as serious as an engine failure, nor is a transmission failure really. Ford Explorers are well known for transmission issues. And again, we're not making comparisons here, I'm just saying that this is something the Pacifica community needs to watch as more of these vehicles get to this level of mileage, and something someone shopping for this vehicle used or with the intention of keeping it for 100k+ miles needs to watch too. Just looking at the posts over the last 2 months or so here on this subject we're hearing more and more about this and it raises concerns for me. These issues are not normal, if they are a common issue for Pentastars of this build as they reach these mileages thats a big deal.

The insinuation that concerns discussed on forums shouldn't be worried about because "people just post on forums to complain" is total hogwash. It certainly doesn't mean EVERYONE will experience those issues, but it does clue you in to what potentially to look out for. Certainly I would tell anybody looking for an Explorer to be cognizant of transmission issues, as I would people with mid 2000s-2010 or so Honda products that had a lot of failed transmissions. Those links you posted aren't even to forums. The Explorer community has a very active forum.

Banned
A power steering pump failure is nowhere near as serious as an engine failure, nor is a transmission failure really. Ford Explorers are well known for transmission issues. And again, we're not making comparisons here, I'm just saying that this is something the Pacifica community needs to watch as more of these vehicles get to this level of mileage, and something someone shopping for this vehicle used or with the intention of keeping it for 100k+ miles needs to watch too. Just looking at the posts over the last 2 months or so here on this subject we're hearing more and more about this and it raises concerns for me. These issues are not normal, if they are a common issue for Pentastars of this build as they reach these mileages thats a big deal.

The insinuation that concerns discussed on forums shouldn't be worried about because "people just post on forums to complain" is total hogwash. It certainly doesn't mean EVERYONE will experience those issues, but it does clue you in to what potentially to look out for. Certainly I would tell anybody looking for an Explorer to be cognizant of transmission issues, as I would people with mid 2000s-2010 or so Honda products that had a lot of failed transmissions. Those links you posted aren't even to forums. The Explorer community has a very active forum.
I'm using transmissions and power steering pumps as mere examples, if you'd like to see blown engines on Fords, Chevys and other makes that are two years old on forums I can gladly post them and will gladly sign up on all those other forums just to prove a point to you. Would you like me to do that??. You are very dense and or difficult because you think you have to have the last word and you think you know everything. I've already told you 4 times now "most" people sign up on auto forums when they are having problems and they need ADVICE AND OR HELP ON SOMETHING THATS BROKEN!.. I'm sure most people will agree with me so you don't have to fight it. Of course there's going to be conversationalists and enthusiasts but that's not the main audience on here. Do you understand now? Go to Ford forums and type in blown engines on new Expeditions and they'll be 10+ people with blown engines on that thread with their new Expeditions.. The 3rd generation 3.6 Pentastar is not known for motors blowing at 70k miles that's not their reputation at all. If its happened then its rare, coincidental and sh** happens with many variables in between. Again No need for a debate any further there's nothing you're going to tell me that I haven't heard already from you now...
And for you to tell someone to ditch their '17 with 100,000+ miles on it that it's got a bad reputation is rediculous. Alot of vehicles have head gaskets go out at that mileage it's very common That's not what that guy wants to hear right now negative Nelly... Might just be a head gasket and not the best news but it can be fixed or just go on Ebay and get a used engine for $2k with 50k miles on it and have it dropped In for $500. With those kind of miles just drop in another engine and keep going. I've done that on other vehicles problem solved...

Banned
Hey buddy try and find out exactly what the problem is and go from there. 100k miles isn't alot but it isn't low miles either. Head gaskets go out especially if you have a heavy foot and maybe haven't taken care of it in the best way. With those miles and age it's almost fully depreciated anyway. If you like the van go on Ebay, they have other vans in mild accidents from wrecking yards they pull the engine out and crate it to you, it's been checked and warrantied. I've seen the new 3.6 with 50k miles on it for $1500. Then pay $500 to have it dropped in at home... As EXPENSIVE as cars are right now it's way more cost effective to keep yours going and enjoy it then wholesale it out for junk then start new with another Expensive vehicle. Some commenters on here don't fully understand that they are to busy telling you it has a bad reputation.

Banned
And for you to tell someone to ditch their '17 with 100,000+ miles on it that it's got a bad reputation is rediculous.
You left out the part that their 17 with 100k+ miles needs a multi-thousand dollar repair. Of course I wouldnt tell someone with a 17 with 100k miles and no problems to get rid of it, but telling someone with such a vehicle that will need that repair if they choose to keep it vs getting out of it now before they have to shell out that money is good advice and I stand by it. The vehicle is just going to need more work as it continues to age, and the undependability is a huge factor too.

Nobody is helped by you "being positive" and explaining away the reality of these problems...and no mechanic will remove an old engine and install another engine for $500 lol. You have no idea what you're talking about, you have no concept of how complex a modern engine and control system are. The cheapest decent independent mechanics have labor rates around $90 an hour. Just do the math, the book rate for a modern engine replacement is as much as 25 hours...not 5 and a half hours. So, installing that crate engine is more like a $2,200 job, so yeah...$4,500-$5,000 for a used engine installed is what the cost will be if the crate engine is $2,000. Shocker, that's what another member just paid for that job too.

Alot of vehicles have head gaskets go out at that mileage it's very common
That is total BS, extremely few modern cars need head gaskets at 70k miles lol. "Very common" LMAO, you're funny.

Its too soon to say if this is a common issue, but it is certainly troubling that we have seen so many of these identical situations here lately.

Go to Ford forums and type in blown engines on new Expeditions and they'll be 10+ people with blown engines on that thread with their new Expeditions.
I did, and there aren't. Look at the model years in these replies, they are all 15+ years old:

Font Computer Circle Darkness Number

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

On this forum:

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Software

Attachments

Banned
You left out the part that their 17 with 100k+ miles needs a multi-thousand dollar repair. Of course I wouldnt tell someone with a 17 with 100k miles and no problems to get rid of it, but telling someone with such a vehicle that will need that repair if they choose to keep it vs getting out of it now before they have to shell out that money is good advice and I stand by it. The vehicle is just going to need more work as it continues to age, and the undependability is a huge factor too.

Nobody is helped by you "being positive" and explaining away the reality of these problems...and no mechanic will remove an old engine and install another engine for $500 lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. The cheapest decent independent mechanics have labor rates around $90 an hour. Just do the math, the book rate for a modern engine replacement is as much as 25 hours...not 5 and a half hours. So, installing that crate engine is more like a $2,000 job, so yeah...$4,000-$5,000 for a used engine installed is what the cost will be if the crate engine is $2,000. Shocker, thats what another member just paid for that job too.

That is total BS, extremely few modern cars need head gaskets at 70k miles lol. "Very common" LMAO.
Excuse me but yes you did tell that person to get rid of it you told him to cut their losses that it's unreliable so don't contradict yourself now pal!! If you go to a higher-end dealer or dealership yes they will charge you an hourly rate but there is a lot of shops locally in every city that does it for a flat rate I had an engine yanked out and put back in for about $800 so yes I was a little off but I'm trying to make a point

Nobody is helped by you "being positive" and explaining away the reality of these problems...and no mechanic will remove an old engine and install another engine for $500 lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. The cheapest decent independent mechanics have labor rates around $90 an hour. Just do the math, the book rate for a modern engine replacement is as much as 25 hours...not 5 and a half hours. So, installing that crate engine is more like a $2,000 job, so yeah...$4,000-$5,000 for a used engine installed is what the cost will be if the crate engine is $2,000. Shocker, thats what another member just paid for that job too.

That is total BS, extremely few modern cars need head gaskets at 70k miles lol. "Very common" LMAO.
Oh it's you again what took you so long?. Yes you most certainly did tell him to basically get rid of it and cut your losses that it's unreliable so don't contradict yourself now.!!!
In my time I've had a couple of engines removed and put in for around $800 bucks as a flat rate with side shops, not an expensive hourly rate from a dealership. When you have something like that done you don't go to a stupid expensive dealership You have to do your homework. Say at the end of the day it did cost $4,000 for a motor so what he would take $10,000 Less on that Salvage van the way it is now anyway so he'd still be ahead. PLUS the price he's going to pay for a new van to get into it. He can get a crate motor and have it put in for No More Than 3 Grand TOTAL versus getting a salvage rate for his van and going in hock for another 40 to $50,000 with today's prices on another van.. it's a total win-win win moron you just have to think outside of the box and be brave for once in your life..
And yes out of the hunreds of millions of cars in the U.S. with over 100,000 miles there millions that blow head gaskets at that percentage rate whether they are new or 10 years old. The bottom line is why don't you try being positive for once in your life instead of being negative...

If there's a moderator out there please close this thread I can't take much more of this guy's negativity and bad advice. God forbid someone listens to him

Banned
Excuse me but yes you did tell that person to get rid of it you told him to cut their losses that it's unreliable so don't contradict yourself now pal!! If you go to a higher-end dealer or dealership yes they will charge you an hourly rate but there is a lot of shops locally in every city that does it for a flat rate I had an engine yanked out and put back in for about $800 so yes I was a little off but I'm trying to make a point
Yes I did, because his vehicle needs this expensive repair. So it was $500 now its $800? You have no idea what you're talking about. No quality shop will charge you $800 to put in a modern engine. Do some research, call some shops.

In my time I've had a couple of engines removed and put in for around $800 bucks as a flat rate with side shops, not an expensive hourly rate from a dealership.
You need to buy better cars lol.

When you have something like that done you don't go to a stupid expensive dealership You have to do your homework. Say at the end of the day it did cost $4,000 for a motor so what he would take $10,000 Less on that Salvage van the way it is now anyway so he'd still be ahead. PLUS the price he's going to pay for a new van to get into it. He can get a crate motor and have it put in for No More Than 3 Grand TOTAL versus getting a salvage rate for his van and going in hock for another 40 to $50,000 with today's prices on another van.. it's a total win-win win moron you just have to think outside of the box and be brave for once in your life..
Independent shops rate labor by the hour too. All quality shops use a book rate for jobs, thats the only way they can make money. Why would they charge $500 to replace an engine when they can charge $500 for a brake job? I'm not taking my vehicle to some guy who works in their driveway or an alley, this is not some $1,500 beater car.

Right now his car isn't exhibiting symptoms that will hurt him on a trade in. He can not make the repair, trade it in for a good price and move on with a new, better car that won't have this issue and won't have potentially more issues down the line. He's not going to get a salvage trade in. Its not only what the cheapest action is, its what will deliver the least headaches.

The bottom line is why don't you try being positive for once in your life instead of being negative...
Thats not being positive, its being delusional. If his van needs a new engine and he wants it done properly by a shop that will stand by and guarantee their work, thats a $4-$5k job minimum. Thats a fact. He can put that $4-5k into this car and roll the dice on a vehicle that we know doesnt have a great reputation for reliability and its already higher mileage. IMO 100k miles on a Chrysler Pacifica is like 250k miles on a Toyota. If I were faced with that sort of repair on any car, and I could dump it before I had to make the repair...I would.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts