2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Obviously it depends on where you are in Canada, all I know is you live in Canada and talking about winter tires I assume you have winter weather. I'm well aware that winter weather varies in Canada.

I have a sneaking suspicion if you guys drove an AWD Pacifica and a FWD Pacifica, you'd want the AWD one. Its going to make the vehicle feel all around a lot more sure footed, especially in wet or snowy weather. I don't love the way the Pacifica feels even in the rain. This sort of vehicle is just a lot of mass to pull around by just the front wheels.

If you want to anticipate what that might feel like, go drive say a Hyundai Palisade in FWD and AWD. I did so with my business partner when he was looking for a Palisade. My experience with the Pacifica (and Sedona) in FWD made me tell him to get the AWD even though he has a Ram truck for winter. All we had to do was drive both and the AWD felt much more secure and better. Pacifica will be no different. Even if I lived in FL, I would still get AWD if it were available.

Who said you had to get AWD on the Limited? That would surprise me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Obviously it depends on where you are in Canada, all I know is you live in Canada and talking about winter tires I assume you have winter weather. I'm well aware that winter weather varies in Canada.

I have a sneaking suspicion if you guys drove an AWD Pacifica and a FWD Pacifica, you'd want the AWD one. Its going to make the vehicle feel all around a lot more sure footed, especially in wet or snowy weather. I don't love the way the Pacifica feels even in the rain. This sort of vehicle is just a lot of mass to pull around by just the front wheels.

If you want to anticipate what that might feel like, go drive say a Hyundai Palisade in FWD and AWD. I did so with my business partner when he was looking for a Palisade. My experience with the Pacifica (and Sedona) in FWD made me tell him to get the AWD even though he has a Ram truck for winter. All we had to do was drive both and the AWD felt much more secure and better. Pacifica will be no different. Even if I lived in FL, I would still get AWD if it were available.

Who said you had to get AWD on the Limited? That would surprise me.
Yes the dealer I spoke to and the 2021 pricing thread showed limited/pinnicale ICE models both only come in AWD and priced accordingly (at least for now)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see the case for the "go everywhere family vehicle" to have AWD, definitely makes sense. But just by the very statement then you need a vehicle that has slightly more capability. A slightly raised, transverse drive-train platform crossover SUV is a comparable choice. And it should have a button to lock the AWD in low speeds, if you are arguing capability.

The factory tires were complete trash for capability. My wife loved the car during a test drive, but hated it after her first real day using it. She was driving a grand cherokee, and got used to launching it off the line every time she hit the gas. So here she is spinning tires pulling out of stores. (no need to comment on her driving, I know, she knows, she doesn't agree) So first rain, and here she is spinning tires. Forget snow, she wouldn't even try it. Meanwhile, I was comfortable taking trips to our place in the catskills with snowy back roads. I will say I got stuck once. I backed into a unplowed driveway to unload the van. Slight down hill, stock tires, and that little bit of snow touched bottom when the fronts spun trying to pull out. I don't fault the van for that one. Had I pulled in, would have been fine. Had my current tires, probably been better.

I bought SRT replica wheels, and some Continental DWS high performance All-season tires, and what a phenomenal difference. Only spin in rain coming out of parking lots, and its minor. I can punch it and get aggressive in turns without spinning up the inside tire. She loves it, can really use the power in the dry, and can drive however she feels comfortable. For Long Island snow, and the occasional trip to catskills, works great.

So not to argue peoples preference, people are going to like what they like. There is next to no height under these vans. so all we are really talking about is pure grip of tires to ground, you are not going to power through any deep snow or anything like that. It will high center immediately, and dig 4 neat little holes. And also this is only grip when applying power, during every other event, a RWD, FWD, AWD will stop and steer the same. There are a very small amount of people that truly benefit from the combination of features in a Pacifica AWD. Doesn't mean you can't like to have every feature :). (thats the whole point of a car market, buy what you like) As far as a necessity or realized value, if you truly need your low clearance minivan to have AWD, then you would likely benefit more from a Chevy Traverse, or realistically better tires and practice. Adding a complexity and cost of an AWD system to an economical people/volume mover seems counter intuitive to me. But sounds like they are going to sell tons of them.

I have had similar discussions with friends and family about their "must have" pick up truck as well. They don't like when you compare costs and realized value most of them would benefit from a minivan, not their 70k pickup truck. Or even better a Chevy Traverse :). Actually one friend could have bought a minivan for daily use and used pick-up for the couple things he needed the capability for, for the price he paid for his "really need" truck. Hey do what you want, just don't try to justify it on a value, or necessity basis. Just say you really like it, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Side note, I added a hitch to my pacifica, and now can tow my 4x8 utility trailer(aka, my pick up truck). Can load more than my buddy's pick up truck. I love towing my ATV's and going to the same dirt roads, and fields he goes with his truck, with the Pacifica. He knows I have a grand cherokee as well, but take the van just to annoy him.

-tratpop

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I object to having to get AWD with the Limited. I have never needed AWD in any of my vans. They always do just fine in the Midwest snow.
I really see it as another move towards making a van more SUV-like in the hopes of snagging more buyers. It works for SUVs I guess, I just never wanted it on a van.
John
I can see this as being a move towards the SUV market. The SUV market is Most of FCA's focus, of course with the Ram being a big portion also. My wife leans towards the SUV's also. I think it is a Huge Trend thing kind of like 4 door trucks were before the gas spike back in 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Chrysler Pacifica With A Factory Backed Chrysler Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the AWD Town & Country (was in OR at the time, and lived on a very steep hill, and often vacation in mountains). I kept it for 15 years, partly because the new ones were no longer AWD. If the Pacifica had an AWD option when I bought mine, I would have gotten one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can see this as being a move towards the SUV market. The SUV market is Most of FCA's focus, of course with the Ram being a big portion also. My wife leans towards the SUV's also. I think it is a Huge Trend thing kind of like 4 door trucks were before the gas spike back in 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Chrysler Pacifica With A Factory Backed Chrysler Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles
It just makes me sad - I love a van - on my 5th one since 2005 and am proud to drive one. I am sure the trend will continue - moving the van to look like and SUV - but I am fine with a van being a van. It just works with my lifestyle.
John

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
62 Posts
The AWD Town & Country was dropped to make room for Stow-Go-Seats. The new AWD is electric and has no drive shaft to the rear.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes the dealer I spoke to and the 2021 pricing thread showed limited/pinnicale ICE models both only come in AWD and priced accordingly (at least for now)
That surprises me, I will look into it.

I see the case for the "go everywhere family vehicle" to have AWD, definitely makes sense. But just by the very statement then you need a vehicle that has slightly more capability. A slightly raised, transverse drive-train platform crossover SUV is a comparable choice. And it should have a button to lock the AWD in low speeds, if you are arguing capability.
Thats really not the case. You benefit from AWD whether you have ground clearance or not. I have owned many 4x4 vehicles with a locking differential and have never needed it. I have experienced many instances in which my Pacifica would be a better vehicle if it were AWD, and none of those situations involved the need for more ground clearance. Thats why sedans everywhere are coming out with AWD versions. AWD is not just for SUVs.

My wife loved the car during a test drive, but hated it after her first real day using it. She was driving a grand cherokee, and got used to launching it off the line every time she hit the gas. So here she is spinning tires pulling out of stores. (no need to comment on her driving, I know, she knows, she doesn't agree) So first rain, and here she is spinning tires. Forget snow, she wouldn't even try it. Meanwhile, I was comfortable taking trips to our place in the catskills with snowy back roads. I will say I got stuck once. I backed into a unplowed driveway to unload the van. Slight down hill, stock tires, and that little bit of snow touched bottom when the fronts spun trying to pull out. I don't fault the van for that one. Had I pulled in, would have been fine. Had my current tires, probably been better.

I bought SRT replica wheels, and some Continental DWS high performance All-season tires, and what a phenomenal difference. Only spin in rain coming out of parking lots, and its minor. I can punch it and get aggressive in turns without spinning up the inside tire. She loves it, can really use the power in the dry, and can drive however she feels comfortable. For Long Island snow, and the occasional trip to catskills, works great.
This is a great example, an AWD Pacifica would not light up the tires from a stop in the rain the way the FWD one does. Most people don't want to buy different wheels and tires, and with what you spent on wheels and tires you could have bought the AWD option. I want a vehicle that just works great out of the box.

during every other event, a RWD, FWD, AWD will stop and steer the same.
This is not accurate. All of those systems have very different feels and performance in all diving, including regular dry weather driving.

The point with the AWD system is it has no negative impact on the car other than potential reliability (with Chrysler, thats not a small thing). The system totally disengages and its FWD when its not needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That surprises me, I will look into it.
Yes surprising but may be temporary to reduce complex of an AWD option add-on or maybe it's just a calculated business margin decision, only FCA knows (it's already complicated with pinnacle added to the lineup). Maybe similar to Fathom blue paint option you can't select yet in a build configuration (dealer meantioned it could take up to 2 months for new options)

·
Registered
930 Posts
You guys do realize it’s not a awd full time . It’s a fwd and utilizes motors for awd when it meets these parameters; wipers on with rain , a certain temp , tire slippage , rain on windshield , Otherwise its just regular fwd , brakes are bigger as well as half shafts , cooling , etc .

·
Registered
704 Posts
You guys do realize it’s not a awd full time . It’s a fwd and utilizes motors for awd when it meets these parameters; wipers on with rain , a certain temp , tire slippage , rain on windshield , Otherwise its just regular fwd , brakes are bigger as well as half shafts , cooling , etc .
The hybrid may use motors for AWD, but thats not what was described for gas Pacificas at least. There ARE driveshafts, its not an eAWD system where there are just motors at the rear for added boost (the bold is unusual for this type of system):

That setup is clutch-based and is disconnected from the driveline under normal circumstances. Despite being a part-time system, using a three-piece driveshaft, the rear wheels can take all the available torque from the engine in certain situations. But you’re more likely going to see the system react to wheel slip and feed power to the wheels with the most traction. Ride height is increased almost an inch.
And just because it uses water on the windshield and wipers, temp, etc to help determine when it needs to connect the AWD system, that doesn't mean all of those criteria have to be met for the system to be activated. When you pull off from a stop and you have wheel slippage in the front, it will engage and send power to the rear, rain or not, cold or not:

The Pacifica’s system is automatic and uses the exterior temperature, use of windshield wipers, wheel slip (that’s a big one), heaviness of acceleration, stability control activation, abrupt steering and throttle inputs and road condition to decide when to send the power around.
Source: 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Gets AWD a Year Early

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally understand, and definitely why AWD vehicles sell very well in northern states. I cannot disagree that the AWD system makes the experience easier. The question is, is it really needed for this type of vehicle, and for its intended design purpose. We know it will make it better, and yes you can turn off the prop shaft and limit the negative impacts. but again, i lived well managing throttle until my original tires wore out, then switched to new tires. (the wheels were a pretty item I wanted :) ) so no added cost to replace a wear item. The improvement was ridiculous.

And frankly it needs to have a lock button like the Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander, to give the driver a controllable setting to utilize, to make it worth it. Being able to turn off traction control but lock the AWD for low speed maneuvers, gives a driver predictable control in unsure conditions. pulling out of a snowed in driveway, driving an unplowed country road, pulling up a boat ramp. momentum and predictability is key.

As far as handling and vehicle dynamics, without giving me the driver control over settings, then all the fancy programming is for the appliance user(point and go and nothing else). Making a car steer in adverse conditions, using rear tires or awd drive inputs, or manipulating the brakes, non of that works well in a car with lots of computers, you end up fighting them and end up worse. so yes. it is only acceleration you are helping here. I highly doubt this thing is going to be tuned to oversteer out of a turn to help correct balance. Its a swiss army knife. Which is a great tool. makes life easier. I get that. I still stand that its "need" is limited, and most people who "need" the awd really don't, or would be better serviced by a vehicle that can take advantage of the AWD. As it would be more useful in more situations, and the added costs to purchase, operate, and potential future maintenance is justified. I see a minivan as a cheap economical way to haul the family. If I had an endless supply of money I would own a Suburban, well I wouldn't since it would have to be ok'ed by the wife, but you get the idea. A family we know near us in the Catskills went with a 4x4 sprinter van as their family hauler.

As far as "when the system activates" and then turns off, that should tell you that most of the time it is not intended to be used, and aids in low traction situations. and likely not to alter driving dynamics. and will likely turn off after 20 seconds of acceleration and probably never turn on above a certain speed. Similar to some other common awd systems out there, great feature to sell more cars. But means you can modulate your way trough those limited situations that it would actually turn on. You tell me they are dropping in the same setup from a cherokee with the full trail rated locking features(i know they are not, but one can dream) i will be one of first looking for one, and then work on a designing a lift kit to turn this thing into an overland rig ASAP. :)

Now would I need this setup, no. But would be cool to roll around in, absolutely.

-trat

·
Registered
704 Posts
Goes back to you don't NEED it, but it makes the vehicle better. You don't NEED 80% of the features on a Pacifica.

And frankly it needs to have a lock button like the Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander, to give the driver a controllable setting to utilize, to make it worth it.
I just dont agree. I have had many AWD cars both with and without lockable transfer cases and I have never had a situation where I needed to lock the transfer case. You can get tons and tons of benefit out of an AWD vehicle without being able to lock the transfer case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The AWD Town & Country was dropped to make room for Stow-Go-Seats. The new AWD is electric and has no drive shaft to the rear.
I do know a lot of the reviews and launch material is a little confusing but the AWD is mechanical.
"The all-wheel-drive option is only available on gas-powered Pacificas, not the hybrid. The AWD models can retain the Stow 'n Go rear seats, a huge storage advantage, despite the need for a three-piece driveshaft that connects the power transfer unit and the rear drive module."
from - Car and Driver Review

I know Chrysler's website is all over the place and impossible to follow on the new 2021.

www.Chrysler-Factory-Warranty.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do know a lot of the reviews and launch material is a little confusing but the AWD is mechanical.
"The all-wheel-drive option is only available on gas-powered Pacificas, not the hybrid. The AWD models can retain the Stow 'n Go rear seats, a huge storage advantage, despite the need for a three-piece driveshaft that connects the power transfer unit and the rear drive module."
from - Car and Driver Review

I know Chrysler's website is all over the place and impossible to follow on the new 2021.

www.Chrysler-Factory-Warranty.com
After reading several reviews, I also understand AWD to be mechanically connected to the engine - there is room down the middle where the exhaust pipe goes...

I'm a big fan of AWD, though concede that good/proper tires (for the conditions) with sufficient tread are MOST important. AWD gives you add'lcapability - there have definitely been situations where I would have been stuck with FWD or RWD. I prefer full-time and RWD-biased AWD, though systems like what the Pacifica is getting are pretty quick to engage when needed which gives you better fuel economy.

Braking is more consistent with full-time AWD as each wheel has similar resistance against the powertrain (saw someone above mention)

I see AWD as a safety feature as well as providing enhanced driving range enabling you to go additional places and during adverse conditions (tires must be equally capable)

Warning - AWD helps you go, but stopping can quickly become the problem on snow/ice...

·
Registered
106 Posts
What are some of your thoughts? Thanks for all positive feedback.
You work in sales for a Chrysler dealership. What do you actually think? I mean really. If I sold cars I wouldn't really care if its needed. I'd care if I could sell them. I think you can sell them. You just need the right hooks in your area. Sell on towing safety and ride height being almost an inch taller so its easier for some people to get in and out.

Also, why the all caps? Having a hard time getting attention selling your warranty coverage?

·
Registered
704 Posts
You work in sales for a Chrysler dealership. What do you actually think? I mean really. If I sold cars I wouldn't really care if its needed. I'd care if I could sell them. I think you can sell them. You just need the right hooks in your area. Sell on towing safety and ride height being almost an inch taller so its easier for some people to get in and out.

Also, why the all caps? Having a hard time getting attention selling your warranty coverage?
Why so rude?

And good salespeople advise clients based on their needs, they don't just worry about what they can sell. This coming from a second generation career salesman.

Personally, I think this is a great discussion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
And good salespeople advise clients based on their needs, they don't just worry about what they can sell.
Well, we would probably disagree what happens in practice then. Many buyers don't know what they want or need until the sales person educates them. This is how marketing works. You didn't know you needed voice control of your microwave until the sales person educated you on the feature.

If the sales person upsells a customer and sells them something they didn't know they wanted or needed before the sale and they feel they got a fair deal when they got home everyone is happy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thats exactly right. I don't disagree at all.

Reactions: pounce

·
Registered
930 Posts
Name me one car salesman that doesn’t up sell ...lol....the reality is every piece of equipment could be quantified as a necessity in a certain situation or instance . Nothing is off the table in a car buying experience , too funny .

21 - 40 of 61 Posts