2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been a member of this forum since I purchased my PacHy and this is my 1st post. I haven;t had any substantive issues with my PacHy, and while I like the car, I'm not a fanboi (I just don't worship at the altar of cars). I make this post only because the tone of many of these responses (overall) are hostile and defensive. Why so hostile - it's not like any of us have any reason to presume bad motives by the poster. And why so defensive - we are owners of a car, not owners of a product line.

The fact is no-one here knows the situation and the hostile/unfriendly posts make unfounded negative assumptions about the poster and the situation.

The guy has had a problem and is looking for information AND to pass along information. Take it that way and be helpful instead of know-it-alls or acting like FCA shills (I am not accusing anyone of that, but seriously the tone of some responses comes across that way).

Put yourself in his shoes. Please.

·
Registered
288 Posts
As an owner, I am disturbed by the fire reports. I never heard of one in my Sienna vans. That said, I realise this is a cutting edge vehicle and we are moderate beta testers.
Anyone in Canada get their 2020 yet?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Let’s be real , if people think that joining the forum will expedite their issue they are wrong . Escalating to ensure resolution isn’t on a forum , forums are just regimented chat rooms with tools and rules . Some of us just roll our eyes with readings about narrative comments concerning issues and problems . We purchase stuff and things with warranty and or insurance .
There are other reasons to post on a forum. Maybe OP wanted us, fellow owners of Pachys, to be aware of this incident so that we can be better informed. I for one am very thankful that OP and the other former Pachy owners whose vans have caught fire took the time and energy to talk about their incredibly stressful experience in order to benefit the rest of us.

Does your warranty and insurance adequately cover your loved ones burning to death?

·
Registered
537 Posts
As an owner, I am disturbed by the fire reports. I never heard of one in my Sienna vans. That said, I realise this is a cutting edge vehicle and we are moderate beta testers.
Image result for toyota sienna fire

Vehicle fires are more common than you think. Here are several Sienna's on fire. Should all Sienna owners be panicking? No

Neither should PacHy owners. We know of 4 fires. 3 of them catastrophic and one that may be a total loss, but wasn't a total burn. There are many thousands of these out there, some over 3 years old now. (There were a handful of deliveries in February '17 before they starrted in earnest in late April) I'm no more cautius around my PacHy than I am around any other vehicle. Mine is at just over 36k miles, I took delivery 4/29/17 if memory serves.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Anyone in Canada get their 2020 yet?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Also, in my opinion it is more likely that a fire in a hybrid plug-in vehicle is going to get more attention because this is a newer technology that is not widely understood and there have been some rather widespread and horrific reports of Teslas burning to the ground.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are other reasons to post on a forum. Maybe OP wanted us, fellow owners of Pachys, to be aware of this incident so that we can be better informed. I for one am very thankful that OP and the other former Pachy owners whose vans have caught fire took the time and energy to talk about their incredibly stressful experience in order to benefit the rest of us.

Does your warranty and insurance adequately cover your loved ones burning to death?
I appreciate the information that has been posted here too. But at this point I am not sure that there is any more fire risk in owning a hybrid as compared to a regular gas vehicle. So far, none of the OPs of the reported fires have come back and posted any information from either manufacturers, insurance company investigators, or governmental agencies that proves the fires were caused by a manufacturing defect nor has it been proven that the PHEV in general or the Pacfica is inherently any more prone to catching fire than any other vehicle. That’s the information I’d like to hear about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Vehicle fires are more common than you think. Here are several Sienna's on fire. Should all Sienna owners be panicking? No

Neither should PacHy owners. We know of 4 fires. 3 of them catastrophic and one that may be a total loss, but wasn't a total burn. There are many thousands of these out there, some over 3 years old now. (There were a handful of deliveries in February '17 before they starrted in earnest in late April) I'm no more cautius around my PacHy than I am around any other vehicle. Mine is at just over 36k miles, I took delivery 4/29/17 if memory serves.
Guess I never looked for Sienna fires. I agree we see many different vehicle fires here on our main highways. I never note to the make, especially since it's usually too far gone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
View attachment 43106

Hi Everyone. New here.
It’s taken me over a month to post because I was was so traumatized. Ready to talk about this now and warn others. If this happened to you contact me so I can send info to my lawyer. I’m in Toronto.

Bought my 2018 hybrid Pacifica new.

It was off, not charging, and parked in a shopping plaza parking lot. I was loading my daughter in and we smelled smoke. I touched the ground by her feet. It was warm. I pulled up carpet and a blast of fire came up and hit my face. I moved and thankfully it just burnt my hat lashes and brows.

We got a fire extinguisher and when we returned the van was full of smoke and my front seat and ground was on fire. Fire trucks arrived and worked on it for 2 hours to make sure it was out.

We were in a plaza lot. If this was at home my house would have burnt to the ground. I don’t want to think what could have happened to me or my family.

I was in shock at first but now have ptsd. Insurance has not done anything yet because they are waiting on the dealership to do tests.
It has been 2 months and we do not have a rental or courtesy car. Chrysler also did not provide a tow under roadside assistance.. they said it was no covered when we call as our van was burning!!!!!

Tests are taking long because they needed “special gloves”... because it is volatile..yet they let us go into the van the next day to get our stuff. They were very rude when we went there because they were not happy the tow truck left it there at night. They told us to move it!!! It took almost 2 months to get the gloves and now they have it and they still cannot do tests because the emergency brake is on and they do not know how to disable it because it’s electronically controlled. They are waiting for direction from head office on how to do this. This was over a week ago. They say they are working on REPAIR costs to give insurance. How they think they can come up with a repair quote without getting the vehicle into their shop and do diagnostics is beyond me.
It causes me great anxiety thinking about getting back into any Pacifica (which I loved) let alone this particular one with the smell of smoke, that was drenched with water, that had the front seat ripped out, that exploded and where the floor that my daughters feet would hang over is charred and covered with battery acid.
If anyone out there has advice or can help.. we need it. I’m so disappointed in Chrysler.

View attachment 43107

View attachment 43108
so here is the thing. Lithium batteries catch on fire. Everyone know it. They did in laptops, cell phones and even airplanes. They have been exploding or otherwise burning in cars of all brands. Do not buy a hybrid or EV and park it in your garage. Not a good idea.

even manufacturing at 9 9’s (which is almost impossible in batteries) with the number of cars sold each year - this will begin to be the new normal. Cars burning down.

sorry Chrysler hasn’t been better to deal with. Tesla - the EV darling - are about the same. it’s all about hiding from liability.

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
I don't know what's going on in this thread. Some of the remarks I'm reading here by people with hundred of posts under their belts is a disappointing to say the least. If this thread doesn't get back on track it will be shut down. Thread cleaned.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
so here is the thing. Lithium batteries catch on fire. Everyone know it. They did in laptops, cell phones and even airplanes. They have been exploding or otherwise burning in cars of all brands. Do not buy a hybrid or EV and park it in your garage. Not a good idea.

even manufacturing at 9 9’s (which is almost impossible in batteries) with the number of cars sold each year - this will begin to be the new normal. Cars burning down.

sorry Chrysler hasn’t been better to deal with. Tesla - the EV darling - are about the same. it’s all about hiding from liability.
I guess I crossed a line.. but heres Steve Hanley of CleanTechnica saying basically the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

By the same logic, you should never put a cell phone in your pocket or leave a laptop home alone. You probably shouldn't park a gas vehicle in your garage either since gasoline catches on fire. Everyone knows it. Some hybrids and EVs may catch on fire, but it will be an extremely small percentage.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
My personal opinion. If you don’t believe it’s safe to park your hybrid or EV in the garage then you probably shouldn’t be parking your gas car, your lawn mower, or your weed weed eater in there either. In fact, you probably shouldn’t store gasoline in there either. Talk about volatile high energy density fuel....

·
Registered
537 Posts

The hyperbole is strong with this one....

There are billions (trillions? I dunno) of lithium batteries in use around the world. Most people have many within their own home. A tiny tiny miniscule itty bitty portion have ever caught fire. Why, I bet you have one in your pocket RIGHT NOW!!!! LOOK OUT!!! IT"S COMING FOR YOU!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't know what's going on in this thread. Some of the remarks I'm reading here by people with hundred of posts under their belts is a disappointing to say the least. If this thread doesn't get back on track it will be shut down. Thread cleaned.
I appreciate you and what you do. I know you removed one of my posts. Some of us are getting really tired of the inflammatory FUD hyperbole BS.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I appreciate you and what you do. I know you removed one of my posts. Some of us are getting really tired of the inflammatory FUD hyperbole BS.
Though I really thought my MJ popcorn GIF added some nice ambience to the thread. Like a couple of throw pillows, y’know?

41 - 60 of 102 Posts