2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, first time posting here. I posted this in the new members section, but thought it may be better suited here.
Have a question for the audio folks. I've been searching through the forum, reading different articles, and talking with some sales people in regards to upgrading the speaker system on my 2018 Pacifica Touring Plus.

Info: 7" uconnect with base 6 speaker system and roof mounted drop down DVD.

I want to upgrade the speakers to a mid level aftermarket, with basic amp and small sub. I'm not looking to rattle the windows, but just add a little better sound quality.

I understand that the ANC needs to be disabled in order to prevent interference from the increased noise/sub.

Heres where it gets confusing...
I can't seem to get a hard answer regarding how to add an amp. Ive read some people used a LOC, the rockford DSR1, or no amp at all. Do I need to install inline resistors so the radio doesnt shut the speaker off?
My goal is to retain the factory head unit since there are other integrated controls and not cut up all the of harness. I would also like to add some speakers in the stock location where the 13 alpine speakers would have been.

Has anyone done this? Whats the easiest, most cost effective method without getting too crazy with upgrades?

Thanks for any info!
I have a 6 speaker audio system too..You can put a LC2i, and tap your signal from the rdaio harness, big red plug,and add just a subwoofer, Diagram is easy to get. I changed all my door speaker and dash speaker.. (I chose some Skar Audio, they fit perfectly)If you don't want to spend alot of money.. No resistor needed for me. I had to switch polarity on each speaker( +/- are reversed somehow). Installation is not too hard.. As sfor amplifiing them, i have a AP4-CH41, and ANC-CH01 to bypass the ANC. AMp rack is installed in the stow and go.. 2 amp, 1 cap, 1 active EQ. This way, all my wiring is pretty short, returning the signal to the radio is easy..

If you Don't use an AP4 or the ANC-CH01, and want to amplifie your door speaker, you will have to re-route all the wiring from your amp to the each speaker.. If you use the factory wiring, Anc will get damage, without harness to bypass it.Also, adding speaker on the system can get challenging, Hole for the speakers are there, but the wiring is missing, so you'll have to route wire for additionnal speakers.. freddief73 been a great help for me, His detailled post are really great, if you follow is lead, you won't miss.. And for subwoofer, FIPacifica on this forum add a thead on this, it is pretty detailed too.. VAD's subwoofer build thread . I hope it will help, don't hesitate to ask, i had many question about this too, still have some, but it is easier than it sound.. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the response! You provided some awesome info. I wasn't sure how much power was actually being supplied to the speakers since they were labeled 15w. My worry was that I would buy better speakers and the radio wouldn't be able to power them sufficiently, resulting in loss of volume. When you swapped the speakers, did you have to add resistors? I read some of the ram/jeep guys did. If I can get awau with just upgrading the 6 for now, I'll probably do that and save some money. We went and looked at the 2020 limited tonight. That awd version may be the next purchase haha

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks for the response! You provided some awesome info. I wasn't sure how much power was actually being supplied to the speakers since they were labeled 15w. My worry was that I would buy better speakers and the radio wouldn't be able to power them sufficiently, resulting in loss of volume. When you swapped the speakers, did you have to add resistors? I read some of the ram/jeep guys did. If I can get awau with just upgrading the 6 for now, I'll probably do that and save some money. We went and looked at the 2020 limited tonight. That awd version may be the next purchase haha
Adding resistors isn't required. I could understand if others installed them for the dash speakers to tame them a bit, but you definitely don't want to add them to the door speakers. The factory dash speakers only produce really high frequencies (like above 9KHz) because of the 2.2 uF capacitor that is installed on them. Any 3.5” speakers you install are going to make a lot more sound, so consider yourself warned. My Kenwood dash speakers have an 850Hz HPF installed, so a lot of the lower midrange is getting filtered out and they're still pretty loud. This won't be the case with most other speakers.

FWIW I initially thought the loudness of my new dash speakers was too overwhelming because it sounded so different. The sound stage is definitely more in your face compared to before. I was going to install resistors to quiet them a bit, but now I'm used to it and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd recommend hearing how it sounds before adding resistors because removing the dash speakers is really easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good to know. Im not sure which forum I read where someone said that their radio shut the channel off because the proper resistance wasn't detected. May have been a Ram. I'll have to try your set up. Sounds liie what I am looking for. Glad to find a set up that works and fits well. Any recommendations on things you would have done differently or tried? Thanks again!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good to know. Im not sure which forum I read where someone said that their radio shut the channel off because the proper resistance wasn't detected. May have been a Ram. I'll have to try your set up. Sounds liie what I am looking for. Glad to find a set up that works and fits well. Any recommendations on things you would have done differently or tried? Thanks again!
While replacing my speakers, I did confirm that the base six speaker system does cut power to any channel that doesn't have a speaker connected to it. Remember that the base system only has four channels. The dash and front door speakers are connected in parallel to the front two channels.

I just want to clarify this. You can connect a 4 ohm/10 watt resistor in series with each dash speaker if you want them to play quieter, but if you are just replacing speakers it isn't required.

The only situation that would require resistors would be if you are connecting a LOC to any channels without also leaving speakers connected to them. You don't need any load resistors if you you are using an AmpPRO.

The factory dash speakers for the base six speaker system have an 8 ohm nominal impedance. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms. Some are only 2 or 3 ohms.

Obviously, aftermarket speakers will produce significantly more sound because they have half the impedance (or less than half in some cases) of the factory dash speakers. Some find it desirable to use resistors with the dash speakers because of this, but it isn't required.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you both for the help. This has definitely made the process easier and helped clarify some answers for me. Love these forums and people like you who are willing to help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Replaced the front two 6x9. Significant improvement. Also have my eye on the 2121 awd, so I'm holding off on completely upgrading the system. I did experiment with adding a 3.5" to the sliding door locations. It was relatively easy. The hardest part was getting the panels removed. No cutting of factory wires. I installed the speaker into the factory location for the 13 speaker system, and ran the wires to the 6x9. Using just a little bit of solder, I added the new speaker wires to the existing 6x9 terminals. The sound definitely improved, even with the stock 6x9. It helps to add some "volume" directly behind the driver, giving a more full sound. Total speakers in mine is now 8. Haven't attempted the 3rd row/rear hatch.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Replaced the front two 6x9. Significant improvement. Also have my eye on the 2121 awd, so I'm holding off on completely upgrading the system. I did experiment with adding a 3.5" to the sliding door locations. It was relatively easy. The hardest part was getting the panels removed. No cutting of factory wires. I installed the speaker into the factory location for the 13 speaker system, and ran the wires to the 6x9. Using just a little bit of solder, I added the new speaker wires to the existing 6x9 terminals. The sound definitely improved, even with the stock 6x9. It helps to add some "volume" directly behind the driver, giving a more full sound. Total speakers in mine is now 8. Haven't attempted the 3rd row/rear hatch. View attachment 43977
I hear the same effect with the Kicker coaxials I installed in sliding doors. I hear just enough sound for good rear fill. The Kenwood components I originally wanted to put back there definitely would've been too loud.

You'll need to add another amplifier if you decide to add more speakers in the liftgate. I'm assuming the amp in the ANC module is 2-ohm stable. You're most likely at 2 ohms on your rear channels with the speakers you have in the sliding doors.

I've also thought about installing speakers in the liftgate and installing a switch that would kill the speakers in the sliding doors when I'm using them. This way I wouldn't need to worry the impedance dropping too low for the amp/ANC module. It would be great for tailgating or camping.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Touring L w/ Sunroof and Adv Safety Packages
8 Posts
I tried replacing the front 2 speakers on my base audio pacifica but when I replaced the driver side with an alpine aftermarket, I heard a bassy hum coming from the speaker-- goes away when i reconnect factory speaker. Is this from the ANC? any easy way to solve or would a dif speaker solve? Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I tried replacing the front 2 speakers on my base audio pacifica but when I replaced the driver side with an alpine aftermarket, I heard a bassy hum coming from the speaker-- goes away when i reconnect factory speaker. Is this from the ANC? any easy way to solve or would a dif speaker solve? Thanks
Yes, it's from ANC. Double check your speaker connections. You reversed the polarity (positive and negative wires) when installing the new speaker. If your van has ANC, this will cause the engine noise to be amplified instead of cancelled.

I've already mentioned it numerous times in this thread, but the polarity is actually the opposite of how it is labelled in the factory service manual's wiring diagrams. What is labelled as the negative wire is actually positive and vice versa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it's from ANC. Double check your speaker connections. You reversed the polarity (positive and negative wires) when installing the new speaker. If your van has ANC, this will cause the engine noise to be amplified instead of cancelled.

I've already mentioned it numerous times in this thread, but the polarity is actually the opposite of how it is labelled in the factory service manual's wiring diagrams. What is labelled as the negative wire is actually positive and vice versa.
Thanks for the reply. I just used an adaptor to connect the speaker (metra) which seems like they can only be connected one way. How can I reverse polarity? Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the reply. I just used an adaptor to connect the speaker (metra) which seems like they can only be connected one way. How can I reverse polarity? Thanks
What is the Metra part number you used? Metra 72-6515 (same as older Metra p/n 71-050) is the correct harness for the 6x9 door speakers. Metra 72-6514 can also be used, but needs to have the pins switched around to keep the polarity correct. This can easily be done by inserting a small flat screwdriver into the front of the plug to release the locking tab for each terminal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the Metra part number you used? Metra 72-6515 (same as older Metra p/n 71-050) is the correct harness for the 6x9 door speakers. Metra 72-6514 can also be used, but needs to have the pins switched around to keep the polarity correct. This can easily be done by inserting a small flat screwdriver into the front of the plug to release the locking tab for each terminal.
6514, i guess thats the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
Pacifica Launch Edition, Brilliant Black, S model with Tow / safety tech / 8.4 display
36 Posts
I actually discovered that the polarity is labeled backwards in the diagrams by accident. I installed the left dash & front door speakers first, and before replacing the original speakers on the right side to compare them. When I started playing music and turned up the volume, I could immediately tell the speakers were out-of-phase with each other. Specifically, the left speakers were out of phase with the right speakers. When you hear out-of-phase speakers once you don't forget how it sounds. Two speakers that are out of phase with each other sound quietest when positioned in the center between them. This is because the cancelling effect is greatest when listening with equal distance from both speakers. Each speaker will sound louder as you move your ears closer to it because the cancelling effect decreases as you move further from the other speaker. Obviously, the farther the speakers are apart the less audible this becomes, but in a confined space like your car it is usually very obvious.

Like I said before, I reversed the polarity of all my speaker wiring adapters ahead of time assuming the wiring information from the service manual, Mopar's connector site, and Crutchfield's Mastersheet were correct because they all match each other. When I heard the new speakers were out-of-phase with the old ones, I thought it was impossible that all three sources could be wrong. I connected a 9V battery to each factory speaker (bypassing the capacitor on the dash speakers) to test their polarity. Sure enough, my findings confirmed that the wiring diagrams have the polarity incorrectly labeled. The 2.2 uF capacitor on the dash speakers is also wired in series with the negative terminal instead of the positive terminal like they typically are. I removed the left speakers again, re-pinned all the wiring harnesses back to how they came from Metra, and reinstalled them. When I listened again, the speakers sounded correct and in phase with each other.

If you do some online research, you'll find that other FCA vehicle owners also discovered this same anomaly with their vehicles. Many of them use the exact same speakers (have same OEM part numbers) as the Pacifica, so this is very plausible.

I also confirmed with an ohmmeter that the like colored wires are in fact the same between the dash speakers and the door speakers. In the base six speaker system, the dash speakers are wired in parallel with the front door speakers. Knowing this, I felt it was necessary to ensure that Chrysler wired the dash speakers to be in phase with the door speakers and not out of phase.

Just to clarify, everything with the wiring diagrams is correct with regard to colors and numbering of terminal locations. The only thing that is wrong is the positive and negative labels are reversed on all the speakers - at least on vans with the base audio system. It's very possible that all vans are like this regardless of which audio system they came with. The Metra 72-7902 (for 3.5" speaker locations) and 72-6515 (for 6x9" speaker locations) speaker wiring adapters are correct and should be used as they come without altering them.

Normally, polarity doesn't actually matter as long as all your speakers are connected the same way so that they're in phase with each other. However, in a system with Active Noise Cancelling, if all the speakers are connected backwards the speakers will generate a sound that amplifies engine noise instead of cancelling it out as intended. So if you are hearing engine noise in the speakers, checking and/or reversing their polarity is a good place to start.

I can confirm that ANC is working fine at this point, so the front speakers I installed are wired correctly. No engine noise is audible from any of the speakers. At this point I'm assuming that the sliding door speakers are also labeled backwards in the wiring diagrams, because when comparing front to rear speakers, they sound in phase with each other. I will make observations when installing the new rear speakers and post what I find afterwards. I hope to get them in later today or tonight.

I hope others find this helpful because I was completely blindsided with this issue. I still find it hard to believe that three reputable sources of information were consistently wrong.

If you used the Metra 72-7902 adapters (and didn't alter them), your speakers should be wired correctly. I would first check your EQ settings. Center all the bands and see if it goes away. You should install a bass blocker/capacitor in series with your front speakers. This will filter the lower frequencies that they can't reproduce, which will reduce distortion. If your Jeep has a premium Alpine/HK system, the signal that is being fed to the front dash speakers already has a high-pass filter applied to it (same goes for a Pacifica's Alpine/HK system). This would explain the difference in sound between the two vehicles.

I haven't installed any sound deadening, but I might attempt it later. The carrier plate actually looks easy to remove, it's just dealing with the window regulator and door latch in the process that I find intimidating.
So now I am totally confused. My question is: If I use the correct Metra 72-7902 Speaker adapter's for the front, I don't need to worry about polarity. If I use the correct 72-6515 (for 6x9" speaker locations), I also don't have to worry about polarity.
I am not installing an Amp, so will the simple speaker swap give me trouble form the ANC?

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So now I am totally confused. My question is: If I use the correct Metra 72-7902 Speaker adapter's for the front, I don't need to worry about polarity. If I use the correct 72-6515 (for 6x9" speaker locations), I also don't have to worry about polarity.
I am not installing an Amp, so will the simple speaker swap give me trouble form the ANC?

Thanks
Use the adapters as they come and you'll be fine. They already have the proper configuration to correct the problem. If you don't use the adapters, you need to connect the speaker wires backwards. Either way, as long as the speakers are properly connected, you won't have any problems.

Reactions: Delladog

·
Registered
2020 Billet Silver Pacifica S
16 Posts
I'll be replacing my dash speakers with the Kenwood KFC-X3C with the Metra 72-7902 hopefully next week. Has anyone used the Alpine R-S69.2 in the doors? I plan to add an AudioControl LC-5.1300 this fall to power it all along with a Dayton Audio 10" Reference DVC running at 2ohms.

·
Registered
2020 Billet Silver Pacifica S
16 Posts
Will disabling the ANC make the auto volume on the stereo no longer work?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Will disabling the ANC make the auto volume on the stereo no longer work?
I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think so. Usually, that feature operates by monitoring vehicle speed and adjusting the volume accordingly as the speed increases/decreases.

Reactions: showtm490

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went on a road trip with the family and luggage and found the stereo to just be bad, not terrible.

Today I drove it alone and it was terrible again without the added sound deadening of a car full of stuff.

The base even at -6 is just so boomy and harsh.

If I knew changing out the woofers would help I would in a heartbeat, but I fear it is the amp and there is nothing I can do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts